February 7, 2012

Red Chicken aka Ayam Masak Merah


What's for dinner tonight? I'm craving for "red" chicken but none too spicy for my kids. So, I posted on FB walls request to share a recipe for "ayam masak merah" aka "red" chicken. And one of the FBians suggested going with tomato rice & share with me her version recipe. I'm skeptical about these dishes....especially I've 3 fussy kids. However, am so glad when they said they love it! Ally asked me if I can cook red rice? Since they have tried "yellow" rice (biryani) & am wonder if there's a bowl of red rice...

Ingredients:
½ chickens (Marinate with Turmeric powder + salt)
1 tomato ~ small diced
½ cup tomato sauce
1 Large onion ~ cut ringlet
½ cup green pea
1 cinnamon sticks
2 anise star
3 cloves
3 cardamom
2 tbsp sugar
Salt to taste

Paste:
4-5 dried chili (soak with hot water)
1cm ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 large red onion or 6 shallots

Directions:
  1. Marinate the chicken with turmeric & salt for about 15-20 mins.  Fried the chicken & set aside.
  2. Heat cooking oil in a work & sauté the 4 spices (cinnamon, anise star, cloves & cardamom).  Add blended ingredients & stir fry the ingredients till fragrance.  Then add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar & salt.  Keep stirring till the oil is surface.
  3. After that adds fried chicken & let it cooks till the gravy thicken.  Lastly, add the onion & green peas & cook for another 2 mins.  Best to be served with “Tomato Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment