February 7, 2012

Tomato Rice aka Nasi Tomato


What's for dinner tonight? I'm craving "red" chicken but none too spicy for my kids. So, I posted a request to share a recipe for "ayam masak merah" aka "red" chicken on FB walls. And one of the FBians suggested to goes with tomato rice & share with me her version recipe. I'm skeptical about these dishes....especially I've 3 fussy kids. However, I am so glad when they said they love it! Ally asked me if I can cooked red rice? Since they have tried "yellow" rice (briyani) & am wonder if there's a red rice...

Ingredients:
2 cups Basmathi rice
2 tomatoes ~ diced cubes
2½ cups fresh milk
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 screwpine ~ knotted
6 shallots ~ sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic ~ sliced thinly
2 tbsp ghee
1 cinnamon stick
1 aniseed star
3 cardamoms
Salt for taste

Directions:
  1. Wash the Basmathi rice & soak for about 15 mins, then drain & set aside.
  2. Heat the ghee in the rice cooker, sauté the spices, shallots, garlic & screwpine till fragrance.
  3. Add the rice & mix well for about 1 min then add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, fresh milk & salt to taste.  Stir the rice well.
  4. Then cover the rice cooker & let it cook.  Serve this rice together with “Red chicken”.

No comments:

Post a Comment